05th Mar 2014
01st Mar 2014
News! I’ll be at the MCM Ireland Comic Con at the RDS in Dublin on 12-13 April as an exhibitor. When I first enquired about a Comic Village table they’d sold out, but they had a cancellation and I must have been next on the list. So that’ll be cool.
There’ll be another MCM Comic Con in the King’s Hall in Belfast in June. Tables aren’t open for booking yet, but I hope I’ll be able to get one when they are. The 2D Comics Festival in Derry is apparently not happening this year, which is a shame, but hopefully these shows will go some way to filling the vacuum.
In other news, I’ll be appearing in Max and Ivan’s comedy show at the MAC in Belfast tonight! They needed some local singers for a musical segment, so eight of us from Róisín Magee’s singing classes at the Crescent Arts Centre have been drafted in. Looking forward to that.
27th Feb 2014
The eighth issue of The Cattle Raid of Cooley (cover art below) is now available to buy from my Comicsy bookshop for £3.50. I’ve rejigged the way it calculates postage, so it should save you a bit of money if you’re buying multiple comics. I’ve also included options to buy all eight issues as a set, or all eight issues plus the prequel graphic novel Ness as a set, for a reduced price. I’m also gradually making digital download versions you can buy for £1.50 an issue, but they’re not all up yet. So if you appreciate what I’m doing here, I’d appreciate it if you’d support me by buying my books.
Some people who have said nice things about my work:
- “Great work” - David Lloyd
- “I love your work. It’s so loose, and the red works so well” - Donna Barr
- “If Lorenzo Mattotti did Irish mythology” - John Robbins
- “An outstanding body of work” - Rabble.ie
- “[The] drawing style is sketchily naturalistic … particularly excelling at the nature scenes … It also gives the story a sense of versimilitude, like everything is happening in the moment” - Gavin Burrows
- “captures the time very well, both in his art and story, this is no polished recounting of history, but a tale full of earthy reality, full of the dirt of ancient lands and the blood of ancient races” – Richard Bruton, Forbidden Planet International
- “[A] brilliant adaptation of the epic Irish legend Táin Bó Cúailnge … a violent, visceral and darkly comic tale and Brown’s interpretation doesn’t leave much to the imagination; the single-colour artwork, raw and frenetic, is reminiscent of Eddie Campbell’s work on From Hell and the story is well-crafted with an obvious passion for the subject matter” - Look Left
- “wonderful translation of ancient Irish legends … exciting and amusing … beautifully rendered action … that proves why Patrick’s decision to retell these old stories in comic book form was such an excellent idea” - Rol Hirst
- “In a hundred years, I reckon Paddy Brown will be remembered as one of Ireland’s finest cartoonists. His Cattle Raid of Cooley calls to the reader to glide around the pages and take in the detail, but to go when he says … a pseudo-sensory experience” - Andy Luke
- “It’s as if writer-artist Patrick Brown found a window looking into the past, and he decided to smash it climb on through. Here is a thoroughly modern form of Irish storytelling that makes the past very much the present” - Malachy Coney
- “Finally a comic from Northern Ireland that can be read adywhere – Patrick Brown weaves a wonderful tapestry of rich characters, intertwining centuries-old legends with 21st-century artwork to die for. Wonderful!” - Davy Francis
- “[Ness is] A wonderful period graphic novel … Primitive but gripping” - Rich Johnston
26th Feb 2014
19th Feb 2014
12th Feb 2014
05th Feb 2014
29th Jan 2014
22nd Jan 2014